2 Divinity Avene
Cambridge, MA 2138
For approximately 300 years from ca. 1460 to 1150 B.C. Egyptians controlled the former Canaanite port city of Jaffa (ancient Yapu), employing it as a staging ground for regular military campaigns into Canaan and the administration of its empire in the southern Levant. Recent research by the Jaffa Cultural Heritage Project under the direction of Aaron A. Burke (University of California, Los Angeles) and Martin Peilstöcker (Israel Antiquities Authority) enable a reassessment of this Egyptian presence.