Lawrence Heritage State Park Visitors’ Center
1 Jackson Street
While preparing a site for the “Strikers’ Monument” to commemorate the centennial of the Great Lawrence Textile Strike of 1912, ground was broken in the North Common Historical District. In 1845 the Essex Company deeded the 17-acre Common as a permanent open passive space to Lawrence. Engineer Charles S. Storrow, with consultation from Fredrick Law Olmsted, prepared the site by filling the marshland with debris. Come to the Lawrence Heritage State Park Visitors’ Center to learn about this site which today is an archaeological portal to the city’s past.