Bike Tour Along the Historic Middlesex Canal
November 1, 2013
On a lovely fall Saturday, the Middlesex Canal Association had its 11th tour by bicycle of the canal route, Charles River to Merrimack River, part of International Archaeology Day. The tour started at the plaque commemorating James Sullivan, first president of the canal company, 1793-1808 (and of the Massachusetts Historical Society, 1791-1806), in Sullivan Square, Boston, and ended in Lowell with a return by train to Boston. The bicycle tour covered 27 miles along the historic canal. A highlight was the visit to the canal visitor center/museum at the Billerica Falls of the Concord River, the summit of the canal from which water was supplied to operate the 20 locks. There were 18 participants in this event on October 5th.