In the Footsteps of the Kings of Macedon
NOTE: This tour is in the planning stages for May 2023. For more information about this tour and to be among the first notified when the tour is available , please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-748-6262.
Join our engaging and fascinating AIA lecturer, Kathleen Lynch, on this unique itinerary in the footsteps of legendary rulers such as Philip II and his son, Alexander the Great. Discover several UNESCO World Heritage Sites and four cities along the ancient Via Egnatia, which linked Europe with Asia. Explore outstanding museums and admire lovely landscapes between the sea and the mountains. Stay at least two nights each at three luxurious hotels: Thessaloniki’s 5-star Electra Palace, located in the city center just steps away from the seaside promenade; the 5-star Cavo Olympo Luxury Resort & Spa at the foot of Mt. Olympus; and the Imaret, a historic and ultra-luxurious boutique hotel, founded originally by Mohamed Ali Pasha in 1813 as an Islamic school and charitable center.
- Thessaloniki’s imposing Byzantine City Walls, Churches of Agios Dimitrios and Agia Sofia, Rotunda of St. George, Roman Arch of Galerius, and Roman Agora.
- Mieza’s ancient theater and “shrine of the Nymphs,” where Aristotle taught Alexander the Great.
- The archaeological site and museum at Pella, capital of ancient Macedonia and birthplace of Philip II and his son, Alexander.
- Vergina, the first capital of Macedon, where we find the tombs of several Macedonian kings and the museum that houses their glorious frescoes, gold artifacts, and other treasures.
- The museum and site of Dion, where Philip II Alexander, made sacrifices to Zeus at the foot of Mt. Olympus.
- Two ancient sites on the Chalkidiki Peninsula: Olynthos and Potidaea.
- The ancient theater and basilica at Philippi, founded in 356 B.C. by Philip II, followed by a visit to a winery.
- Kavala’s old city, including the Archaeology Museum, Aqueduct, Castle, and the former home of Mohamed Ali Pasha, the de facto ruler of Egypt from 1805 to 1848.
Tour Prices (10 nights)
Per person, double occupancy
14-16 participants $TBD
11-13 participants $TBD
Single Supplement $TBD
Single room supplement will be charged when requested or required (limited availability). With fewer than 11 participants, a small group surcharge may be added.