NOTE: Space now available on this previously sold out tour, please contact us at 800-748-6262 or email email@example.com for more information.
Discover the world of the ancient Etruscans, a pre-Roman civilization that flourished in the area between Rome and Florence from at least the 7th century B.C. until they were conquered by the Romans in the 3rd century B.C. The extent of the impact that the Etruscans’ legacy had on the Greeks and Romans, through to our contemporary world, is still coming to light. Join Dr. Pieraccini and a small group of like-minded fellow travelers to explore and further understand the realm of the Etruscans.
- The marvelous cities of Rome and Florence, plus journeys through spectacular countryside to lesser-visited medieval and Renaissance towns.
- Outstanding Etruscan necropolises with brightly-painted scenes of feasting and dancing covering the walls of rock-cut chamber tombs, monumental tumuli, and house tombs. These include the UNESCO World Heritage sites of Cerveteri and Tarquinia, as well as Sovana with its Tomba Ildebranda.
- Important Etruscan towns, including Veii with its impressive, 6th-century B.C. “Portonaccio Temple;” Fiesole, with its ancient walls and necropolis; Volterra, which also boasts a charming historical center; Orvieto, with its striking Etruscan acropolis; and Vulci, whose tombs contain original Etruscan inscriptions.
- Many splendid museums with unparalleled collections of Etruscan artifacts, such as Etruscan bronze sculptures plus Phoenician gold and Greek vases obtained through extensive trade networks. These include the National Etruscan Museum of Villa Giulia and Vatican City’s Etruscan Gregorian Museum.
- Lectures, discussions, and the company of our expert AIA lecturer/host, Lisa Pieraccini.
- Generous comfort at well-located, 4-star hotels, plus fine cuisine and wine. A couple of special events are a home-hosted dinner in Florence, and lunch at a winery in Orvieto.
Prices Per Person
$6,795 (13-16 participants) double occupancy
$7,745 (9-12 participants) double occupancy
Single Supplement $985
Single room supplement will be charged when requested or required (limited availability). With fewer than 9 participants, a small surcharge may be added.