Prehistoric Cave Art of Spain & France (land tour)
Wednesday, September 20, 2017 to Tuesday, October 3, 2017
Tour Leader: Paul G. Bahn
- Investigate southwestern Europe’s most extraordinary prehistoric caves, including Altamira II, a precise replica of the original that is often called the “Sistine Chapel of Prehistoric Art;” Lascaux II, an exact reproduction of one of the most remarkable prehistoric sites ever discovered; Atapuerca, the most significant early human site in western Europe; Las Monedas Cave and Cueva del Castillo, where 180 animal likenesses were painted some 12,000-14,000 years ago; Cougnac,which features paintings of extinct megaloceros and mammoth; Pech Merle, known for its “negative handprints;” and others.
- Travel with world-renowned archaeological author Paul Bahn, a gifted and popular lecturer who regularly leads tours to study the prehistory of Spain and France, including this program. Dr. Bahn will enhance your understanding of the sites with lectures and informal discussions.
- Tour archaeological and ethnographic museums with superb exhibits of prehistoric artifacts, including the Museum of Human Evolution in Burgos, Altamira Museum, Museum of Les Eyzies, and the Museé d’Aquitaine; plus the modern art collections of Bilbao’s Guggenheim Museum.
- Explore charming villages and cities, including Santillana del Mar and San Sebastian; plus the medieval Château de Beynac, which offers a spectacular view of the fortress-dotted valley below.
- Enjoy excellent accommodations in fine hotels and charming inns, as well as fine wine and cuisine.
Double Occupancy (15-20 participants) $7,445
Double Occupancy (10-14 participants) $8,195
Single Supplement (limited availability) $1,025
Wednesday & Thursday, September 20 & 21, 2017 ~ HOME | BILBAO, Spain | SANTILLANA DEL MAR
Friday, September 22 ~ SANTILLANA DEL MAR | ALTAMIRA II | PUENTE VIESGO CAVES
Saturday, September 23 ~ SANTILLANA DEL MAR | BILBAO
Sunday, September 24 ~ BILBAO | ATAPUERCA | BURGOS | BILBAO
Monday, September 25 ~ BILBAO | SAN SEBASTIAN | BORDEAUX, France
Tuesday, September 26 ~ BORDEAUX | LES EYZIES-DE-TAYAC
Wednesday, September 27 ~ LES EYZIES | THE PÉRIGORD REGION
Thursday, September 28 ~ THE PÉRIGORD REGION
Friday, September 29 ~ THE PÉRIGORD REGION
Saturday, September 30 ~ LES EYZIES | TOULOUSE
Sunday, October 1 ~ TOULOUSE | NIAUX
Monday, October 2 ~ TOULOUSE | HOME
View Detailed Itinerary (TBA)
If you have any additional questions, please email us at email@example.com (and include your full name) or call us toll-free at (800) 748-6262 (toll: 603-756-2884).