Fieldnotes: Digital Resources

A permanent list of digital resources in archaeology and related fields.

See also: Directory of Graduate Programs in the United States and Canada

The Institute of Classical Archaeology (ICA) carries out multi-disciplinary archaeological research, conservation, and cultural resource management projects in the territory of ancient Greek colonies in southern Italy and on the Black Sea coast of Ukraine. ICA was established as a research unit in the College of Liberal Arts at the University of Texas, Austin, in 1974. Over the past 30 years, with major support from public and private sources, ICA has developed long-term projects to explore the agricultural hinterlands of ancient Metapontum and Croton in Italy and the territory and urban area of ancient Chersonesos in Crimea, Ukraine. Principal collaborators include the Archaeological Superintendencies of Calabria and Basilicata and the National Preserve of Tauric Chersonesos at Sevastopol. ICA's publications and research have brought it international recognition as a leader in the study of rural populations in the Greek and Roman world.
The Artemis A.W. and Martha Sharp Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient World promotes the investigation, understanding, and enjoyment of the archaeology and art of the ancient Mediterranean, Egypt, and Western Asia. The Institute’s faculty and facilities provide a campus hub for research and teaching in this complex and compelling part of the world, including active fieldwork projects, diverse graduate and undergraduate curricula, and public outreach activities.
The Maya Research Program is a U.S.-based non-profit organization (501C3) that sponsors archaeological and ethnographic research in Middle America. Each summer since 1992, we have sponsored archaeological fieldwork at the ancient Maya site of Blue Creek in northwestern Belize. In 2011 we again offer opportunities to participate in our field program and learn about the Maya of the past and today. The site of Blue Creek islocated on the Rio Bravo escarpment in north-western Belize. Despite its modest size, the strategic location at the head of the Rio Hondo afforded its rulers substantial wealth, prestige, and authority. At its peak, from 200-600 AD, it was a successful city state supporting up to 20,000 inhabitants. Trade and agriculture formed the basis of wealth for Blue Creek leading to a relatively stable social system. However, by 800 AD a major decline is evident with building construction at the core area coming to a halt and termination deposits placed on major architectural features in the site core and surrounding elite residential areas.  By 1100 AD the site was almost completely abandoned. (Please see http://www.pasthorizons.com/index.php/archives/03/2011/twenty-years-of-archaeology-at-blue-creekfor a brief summary of the work at Blue Creek.) The 2011 season will focus on expanding our understanding of the abandonment and collapse of Blue Creek through excavations of elite residential areas adjacent to the site core of Blue Creek, monumental architecture at the nearby site of Nohol Nah, elite residences at the site of  Bedrock, and wetlands agricultural systems. The Blue Creek project is open to student and non-student participants, regardless of experience. The field school is certified by the Register of Professional Archaeologists and participants will receive training in archaeological field and laboratory techniques. (Please see our participant guide for additional information: http://www.mayaresearchprogram.org/web-content/helpdig_form.html) Academic credit and scholarships are available. We invite students and volunteers to participate in the Maya Research Program’s 20th year of our Blue Creek archaeological project in Belize. 2011 Field Season Dates: Session 1: Monday May 23 - Sunday June 5; Session 2: Monday June 6 - Sunday June 18 ; Session 3: Monday June 27 - Sunday July 10; Session 4: Monday July 11 - Sunday July 24 The donation for the Blue Creek Archaeological Project is $1750 for a single two week session. If more than one session is desired, the donation is $1200 for each additional session. A special first-session rate of $1500 is available to students currently enrolled in an accredited University or College. A deposit of $250 per session is required to hold your spot. For additional information please contact the Maya Research Program: www.mayaresearchprogram.org 1910 East Southeast Loop 323 #296 Tyler, Texas 75701 817-831-9011 mrpinquiries@gmail.com
Early Mediterranean Societies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill brings together various disciplines to promote an integrated study of these societies through presentations by group members of their own research, discussion of common readings, and lectures by outside speakers. The focus of this group is cultural diffusion and societal interconnections, but any interdisciplinary subject falls within the group's purview.
The Program in Aegean Scripts and Prehistory (PASP) was founded in 1986 by Thomas G. Palaima as a research center pertaining to the use of writing in Minoan Crete (Cretan Hieroglyphic and Linear A ca. 1850-1450 BCE), Mycenaean Greece and Mycenaeanized Crete (Linear B ca. 1450-1200 BCE) and the island of Cyprus (Cypro-Minoan in the Bronze Age and Cypriote Syllabic script in the historical period ca. 1500-1200 BCE and 750-225 BCE respectivley). PASP was supported by the Comité International pour les Études Myceniennes, the governing international body for work on these writing systems, their texts and their cultures.
Founded in 1939, the Research Laboratories of Archaeology (RLA) was the first center for the study of North Carolina archaeology. Serving the interests of students, scholars, and the general public, it is currently one of the leading institutes for archaeological teaching and research in the South. Located within the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's College of Arts and Sciences, it provides support for faculty and students working not only in North Carolina, but also throughout the Americas and overseas.
Aegean archaeology has had a prominent role at Sheffield for almost thirty years. This concentration led to the establishment in 1995 of the Sheffield Centre for Aegean Archaeology with the support of the University. Since then, the Centre has gone from strength to strength, and its identity was enhanced by the establishment of a Chair in Aegean Archaeology in January 2004. Never before has there been such a concentration of both staff and postgraduate researchers as there is today, and never before have we been able to offer staff, students and academic visitors alike such excellent and wide-ranging facilities for research. The Centre remains dedicated to providing an inter-disciplinary environment for research in to all aspects of the archaeology of the Aegean.
The 5-year project is directed by Dr. Sofia Voutsaki, Groningen Institute of Archaeology. It is financed by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) and the University of Groningen. Additional grants have been received by the Institute of Aegean Prehistory, Philadelphia. The aim of the project is to interpret the important social, political and cultural changes that took place in the southern Greek mainland during the Middle Helladic period and the transition to the Late Helladic (approx. 2000 - 1500 BC). No satisfactory explanation of these changes has ever been given, and they remain one of the most pressing questions of Greek archaeology. The central question, the redefinition of personal, ethnic and cultural identities within wider processes of socio-political change, has a wider relevance and is one of the most debated question in current theoretical debates in archaeology. The task is undertaken by means of an integrated analysis of settlement, funerary, skeletal and iconographic data from the Argolid, northeastern Peloponnese.
The Archaeology Center at Stanford provides a forum for interaction amongst faculty and students in different parts of the University. It promotes theoretical, methodological and ethical innovation and encourages visiting scholars, post-doctoral researchers, faculty and students to work side-by-side on a daily basis. There is a strong global range of interests, with student and faculty researchers working from Southeast Asia to Europe, Africa and the Americas.
The Wiener Laboratory is an active research department, within the American School of Classical Studies at Athens, dedicated to archaeological science in Greece. The laboratory was created through the vision of Malcolm H. Wiener and it remains sustained by his generosity. The Lab has grown since its inauguration on June 2, 1992, to offer a variety of fellowship opportunities, a library, and comparative reference collections, as well as a range of the specialist equipment and tools required by scholars exploring the past through scientific means. Research conducted at the Wiener Laboratory includes biological anthropology (the study of human skeletal remains), zooarchaeology (the study of animal bones), geoarchaeology (the study of soils and rocks, including metallurgy), and environmental studies (including the study of organic residues and botanical remains). Annual fellowships are offered in each of these areas.