Sponsored by: AIA Tours
We invite you to join Archaeological Institute of America lecturer and host Ivančica (Vanča) Dvoržak Schrunk aboard the Emerald Sakara, a luxury 50-cabin yacht, for a summer cruise along the spectacular Adriatic coast. Through the centuries, Romans, Byzantines, Venetians, Ottomans, and Austrians have vied for control of this strategic coastline dotted with over 1,000 islands. In a region well worth exploring for its natural beauty alone, visit impressive archaeological sites, dramatic cathedrals and palaces, and ancient city centers that illuminate the layered history of the Dalmatian Coast. Engage with expert study leaders throughout this unique educational program, and gain a better appreciation of the region’s historical and cultural significance. Born in Zagreb, Croatia, AIA lecturer and host Vanča Schrunk will be joined onboard by historic preservation expert John Meffert and historian and archaeologist Michael McCormick to enrich your travel experience through an onboard series of stimulating lectures as well
as informal discussions. In addition, excellent local guides will accompany you on excursions throughout the program.
• Delve into the historic grandeur of the fortified city of Dubrovnik, known as the “Pearl of the Adriatic.”
• Marvel at Split’s UNESCO World Heritage Site of Roman Emperor Diocletian’s Palace, and explore the city’s historic Jewish neighborhood.
• Tour the first-century Roman amphitheater at Pula.
• Discover Hvar, where chapels and palaces are embellished with intricately carved Venetian architecture.
• Explore Šibenik’s 15th /16th-century Cathedral of St. James, a UNESCO World Heritage Site; as well as its St. Nicholas Fortress.
Optional post-tour extension to Venice is June 22 – 24, 2024