IFR Military Veterans Scholarship
Institute for Field Research
Deadline: March 8, 2019
The Institute for Field Research recognizes the service of military veterans and greatly appreciates their commitment to the study of archaeology. Archaeology field schools are physically demanding and intellectually challenging and are usually conducted in remote locations – conditions that make veterans, who have experienced similar field conditions, ideal participants. This scholarship provides full tuition coverage to attend an IFR field school – up to $5,000 per award. This scholarship has no cash value and will be awarded as a reduction to the field school tuition.
- Open to any veteran who served in the US military.
- Open to veterans attending IFR programs only. This scholarship may not be used for non-IFR programs.
- Complete an application and be admitted to any IFR field school (deposit fee is not required to be eligible for this scholarship).
- Provide the name and email address of a person who will write a recommendation letter on your behalf.
- Unofficial copy of transcripts showing your GPA.
- A copy of your DD 214 form, showing honorable discharge.
- Complete application essay questions.
- Incomplete applications or application submitted past the designated deadline will not be accepted or considered. No exceptions.
Each Military Veteran Scholarship will cover the cost of tuition, up to $5,000. The scholarship sum will be deducted from the published cost of an IFR field school tuition. This scholarship has no cash value. This scholarship may not be applied to any field school outside those offered by the IFR.
- Military veterans of any branch (Navy, Airforce, Marines Corps, Army, Coast Guard, National Guard) with honorable discharge.
- Reserve military personnel are not eligible unless veteran has been activated for 6 months or more in the past 10 years.
- Applicant must be enrolled as a full-time student at an institution of higher education.
- Applicant must apply, and be admitted, to one of the IFR field schools.
- Must be 18 years old or older on the day the field school begins.
- Minimum GPA 2.5 (equivalent to 75% grade average).
- Your major does not need to be in archaeology or related disciplines. Students from any major are welcome to apply.
- Unofficial copy of your transcripts, showing current GPA/grade average.
- Name & email of one person who will write a recommendation letter on your behalf.
- Complete application online.
- There is no nationality restriction. Any US military veteran may apply.
- Veterans may apply to other IFR scholarships. Applying to this scholarship does not prevent you from applying to any other IFR award.