Submitted by Louis A. Claudio
White House Ruin / Canyon de Chelly National Mounument
Chinle, Arizona, United States
Category: Archaeological Landscapes
The 80-room White House Ruin buildings were used between 1040 and 1275. Visitors must descend 600 feet to the canyon floor. Canyon de Chelly is entirely owned by the Navajo Tribal Trust of the Navajo Nation and is the only National Park Service unit that is owned and cooperatively managed in this manner. One of the longest continuously inhabited landscapes of North America, it preserves ruins of the indigenous tribes that lived in the area, from the Ancestral Puebloans (formerly known as Anasazi) to the Navajo.