From Stonehenge to Carnac: Megaliths, Monuments & Tombs of Wessex & Brittany
May 30, 2023 - June 10, 2023
Sponsored by: AIA Tours
Explore the extraordinary prehistoric sites of Wessex, England, and Brittany, France with AIA lecturer and host Dr. Ian Tattersall. Amidst beautiful landscapes see world renowned, as well as lesser known, Neolithic and Bronze Age megaliths and monuments such as enigmatic rings of giant standing stones and remarkable chambered tombs.
• Stonehenge, the world’s most famous megalithic site, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site together with Avebury, a unique Neolithic henge that includes Europe’s largest prehistoric stone circle.
• Enigmatic chambered tombs such as West Kennet Long Barrow.
• Carnac, with more than 3,000 prehistoric standing stones, the world’s largest collection of megalithic monuments.
• The uninhabited island of Gavrinis, with a magnificent passage tomb that is lined with elaborately engraved, vertical stones.
• Several outstanding museum collections including prehistoric necklaces, pendants, polished stone axes, and more.
• The UNESCO World Heritage Site of Mont-Saint-Michel, an imposing abbey built on a tidal island.
• Charming villages, medieval churches, and beautiful landscapes of coastlines and rolling hills.
• The tour begins in London and ends in Paris! Arrive early and/or stay longer to explore these cities independently.