- This event has passed.
International Archaeology Day
October 20, 2018 @ 11:00 am - 3:00 pm EDT
6515 Frederica Road
Saint Simons Island, GA 31522 United States
Archaeology and historic preservation professionals will be on hand, as will exhibitors from Georgia Southern University, Cannon’s Point Preserve, Southeast Archaeological Center, Sons of the American Revolution and others. They will showcase archaeological sites in Georgia, display rarely seen artifacts and present children’s activities. A temporary exhibit will be unveiled that will feature some of the recent finds and work conducted by park staff, volunteers and summer camp attendees this past spring at Fort Frederica.
Guest speakers, whose archaeological work focuses on the Golden Isles and Coastal Empire regions will give talks from 1-3 p.m. about their recent research. They include:
- Laura Seifert — “Kian House Archaeology: From Jewish Immigrants to the Museum for the Masses”
- Rhianna Bennet — “Archaeology in the Classroom: History and Impact of the Fort Frederica Archaeology Program”
- Scott Clark — Late Woodland Period Subsistence in Coastal Georgia: Remains from Taylor Fish Camp”
- Lindsey Cochran — “More Than Tabby Ruins: Housing Below the Surface of Georgia’s Lowcountry Plantation Landscapes”
- Dr. Nick Honerkamp — “Did James Edward Oglethorpe Sleep Here? Summarizing the Above-Ground Evidence”
- Michael Seibert — “Findings from Recent Archaeology at Fort Frederica 2017-2018”