Sponsored by: AIA Tours
Travel and learn with Archaeologist Dr. Nejib Ben Lazreg as you explore mosaics and mosques along with many other exciting sites and enjoy the fascinating culture that Tunisia has to offer.
• Visit all seven of Tunisia’s cultural UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
• Explore fabled Carthage, including the Antonine Baths and the cisterns.
• Spend three full days in and around Tunis, including a visit to the Bardo Museum (pending its re-opening), featuring exquisite exhibits of Roman and Byzantine mosaics.
• See the beautiful Cape Bon coast and the Punic site of Kerkouane.
• Marvel at Bulla Regia, a well-preserved site featuring underground Roman villas, a museum, a Temple of Apollo, and a 2nd-century theater.
• Tour Dougga, established prior to the Romans, with its 3,500 seat theater; Temples of Saturn, Augustan Piety, and Mercury; and Capitol.
• Discover Kairouan, the fourth holiest city in the Muslim world, founded in A.D. 670, with its carpet, leather, brass, and spice vendors; and its Great Mosque with a three-tiered minaret.
• Visit El Djem, one of Tunisia’s most extraordinary sites, with a marvelous, 30,000-seat, ancient amphitheater and a museum that houses lovely mosaics.
• Visit the Roman city of Sbeitla (Sufetula), one of North Africa’s best-preserved Roman cities, including several stunning 2nd-century A.D. temples and mosaic-covered Byzantine baptisteries.
• Wander through Thuburbo Majus, a sprawling site occupied in turn by Berbers, Phoenicians, and Romans. The imperial remains include the Forum, Temple of Mercury, and sunken winter baths.