October 17, 2020
Happy International Archaeology Day!
Happy 10th International Archaeology Day! While the IAD 10th Anniversary celebration did not come together as the community-centered events that have come to be the centerpiece of IAD, the reach of the AIA and its collaborators has expanded tremendously as hundreds of thousands of participants have been able to celebrate on digital platforms. View a list of events coming up today and later this month on the IAD calendar.
Highlights from the AIA this year include:
- An early launch of the Build Your Own Monument contest to engage archaeological enthusiasts quarantining during the pandemic
- Sixteen online listening sessions for IAD Collaborating Organizations to promote networking and support archaeology, history, heritage, cultural resource, parks, and museum professionals as they struggled with unprecedented challenges for presenting public programming
- A collaboration with the Veterans Curation Program to highlight a daily artifact from the collections of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram in the five weeks leading up to International Archaeology Day
- Four Tweetathons that raised awareness about International Archaeology Day and the field of archaeology
- Q&A Sessions with archaeologists through Skype a Scientist
- An ArchaeoDoodles contest to help illustrate the AIA’s Glossary of archaeological terms
In the next ten years of International Archaeology Day we are looking forward to both expanding our virtual offerings as well as returning to community centered in-person events.
International Archaeology Day Blog