This tour is currently in the planning stages for the 2021 departure. To be notified first when it is complete before others, please call 800-748-6262 or email email@example.com.
Join archaeologist Patrick Hunt on this exciting new itinerary from Turin to Nice and discover how the ancient Gauls and Romans interacted with the landscapes and shaped the history and cultures of northern Italy and southern France. Together we will cross the Alps by high-speed train, from Turin to Lyon.
- Travel with award-winning archaeologist and author Patrick Hunt, who has been doing fieldwork in the Alps since 1994.
- Visit several outstanding museums, including the Egyptian Museum in Turin, the only museum outside of Cairo solely dedicated to Egyptian art and culture; and the new Musée de l’Arles Antique, housing the world’s second finest collection of sarcophagi after the Vatican’s.
- Marvel at five UNESCO World Heritage sites: the Roman and Romanesque monuments of Arles, the Roman theater and Arc de Triomphe of Orange, the Roman aqueduct at Pont du Gard, the historic center of Avignon, and the historic city of Lyon.
- Explore the archaeological site of Saint-Romain-en-Gal, also called “little Pompeii,” and take a guided tour of its museum with the curator in charge of the mosaic restoration.
- See the village of Vaison la Romaine, the largest archaeological site in France; and take a behind-the-scenes tour inside the aqueduct at Pont du Gard (pending confirmation).
- You will be accompanied on all excursions by excellent local guides plus an expert trip manager who will handle all of the logistics so you can relax, enjoy, and learn