NOTE: This tour has been cancelled for the January 2023 departure. To be notified when future tours for this region are available, please contact us at 1-800-748-6262 or email@example.com.
Immerse yourself in the wonders of southern India with Dr. Annapurna Garimella, an expert in India’s art and architectural history, diverse religious and cultural traditions, and vibrant living legacies. This well-paced, 18-day tour is the most comprehensive overview of southern India available, and Dr. Garimella—who not only helped design the itinerary and has led this AIA tour five times to excellent reviews since 2004—will enhance our travel experiences through lectures, informal discussions, and special experiences “off the beaten path.”
- Many of India’s most important and spectacular Hindu, Jain, Buddhist, Islamic, and Christian monuments, spanning the 2nd century B.C. to the 18th century A.D.
- Seven UNESCO World Heritage Sites, including the monuments at Hampi, Mahabalipuram, Pattadakal, and Old Goa; Brihadeshwara temple and fort; and the 6th- to 8th- century rock-cut Elephanta Caves.
- Equally important but lesser-known sites, such as the 12th/13th century Halebid temple; and the historical palace and a royal residence of the Wodeyar dynasty at Mysore.
- A visit to Dakshina Chithra, a museum showcasing the art, architecture, lifestyles, crafts, and performing arts of southern India.
- Best available accommodations, staying at most for at least two nights apiece to allow plenty of time for in-depth exploration, including a luxurious beach resort in Goa.
- Five nights aboard the lavish Golden Chariot train and several flights within India to maximize sightseeing time. When we do transfer by land, it is via deluxe, air-conditioned motorcoach to visit important sites within convenient distance of each other.
- An optional, post-tour extension to Kochi, in Kerala state, including a memorable day and night aboard a comfortable houseboat, cruising through the natural beauty of the inland waterways and tropical lagoons around Kuttanad.
Tour Prices per person (16 nights)