This tour is in the planning stages for the February 2021 departure. To be notified before others when the tour is available and to receive a detailed brochure, contact us at 800-748-6262 or email@example.com.
You are invited to discover Egypt on a brand-new, custom-designed tour in the company of AIA lecturer/host Stephen Harvey, Egyptology guide Enass Salah, and a professional tour manager.
Highlights are many and varied:
- Gain inside access to the Red Pyramid at Dahshur, enter the burial chamber of the collapsed pyramid at Meidum, and visit two mud-brick pyramids (Illahun and Hawara) at the Fayoum Oasis.
- Go behind-the-scenes at the ancient necropolis of Saqqara to see some of the new and remarkable excavations that are not open to the public, including (pending final confirmation) special access to the newly-discovered, 5th-dynasty Tomb of Wah Ti.
- Make a special, private visit (permission pending) to the new Grand Egyptian Museum.
- Explore the necropoli of Beni Hasan, known for its 39 rock-cut tombs with well-preserved paintings of dancing, acrobatics, juggling, fishing, hunting, and weaving; and Tuna el-Gebel, with huge catacombs for thousands of mummified ibises and baboons, and much more.
- Visit Tell el-Amarna, which replaced Thebes (modern Luxor) as capital of Egypt under the heretic, 18th-dynasty pharaoh Akhenaton and was significant for its monotheism and distinctive artistic style.
- Enjoy two in-depth visits to Abydos, where Stephen Harvey has worked for over 25 years, including visits to the spectacular Temple of Seti I, with its invaluable “Abydos King List” and chapels with exquisite reliefs; and special access to descend into the tomb of Senwosret III, one of the largest ever built and the first known example of a hidden royal tomb.
- Discover two interesting and lesser-visited sites near Luxor: the Temple of Montu (the falcon-headed god of war) at El-Tod, and the tomb of Ankhtifi, a provincial governor and warlord, at El-Mo’alla.
- See what is perhaps a different side of Cairo: have lunch at Al-Azhar Park, a glorious public space with splendid views of Islamic Cairo; and visit the 9th-century Mosque of Ibn Tulun, the city’s oldest mosque in its original form and its largest mosque in terms of area.
- Enjoy luxurious and best available accommodations throughout, with two to four nights at each property except our final night at an ideally-located, 5-star airport hotel.
- Extend your adventure with a pre-tour program in Egypt’s Siwa Oasis and Alexandria (accompanied by Steve Harvey), and/or a post-tour program to Jordan, including Petra, Jerash, Madaba, and Wadi Rum.
Reserve your space today by calling 800-748-6262 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. There are only 16 spaces available!