This tour has been cancelled for 2021 and is in the planning stages for an early 2022 departure. If you are interested in traveling to this region and would like to be contacted when a tour becomes available, please call 800-748-6262 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are invited to return to Egypt to experience this custom-designed itinerary. Travel and learn in the company of Egyptologist Stephen Harvey. On this 16-day tour, you are also joined by a local Egyptology guide and a professional tour manager.
Highlights are many and varied:
- Gain inside access to the Red Pyramid at Dahshur, enter the burial chamber of the collapsed pyramid at Meidum, and visit two mud-brick pyramids (Illahun and Hawara) at the Fayoum Oasis.
- Go behind-the-scenes at the ancient necropolis of Saqqara to see some of the new and remarkable excavations that are not open to the public, including (pending final confirmation) special access to the newly-discovered, 5th-dynasty Tomb of Wah Ti.
- Explore the necropoli of Beni Hasan, known for its 39 rock-cut tombs with well-preserved paintings of dancing, acrobatics, juggling, fishing, hunting, and weaving; and Tuna el-Gebel, with huge catacombs for thousands of mummified ibises and baboons, and much more.
- Visit Tell el-Amarna, which replaced Thebes (modern Luxor) as capital of Egypt under the heretic, 18th-dynasty pharaoh Akhenaton and was significant for its monotheism and distinctive artistic style.
- Enjoy two in-depth visits to Abydos, where Stephen Harvey has worked for over 25 years, including visits to the spectacular Temple of Seti I, with its invaluable “Abydos King List” and chapels with exquisite reliefs; and special access to the subterranean Osireion (symbolic tomb of Osiris), centered around a burial chamber that was once surrounded by water.
- Discover two interesting and lesser-visited sites near Luxor: the Temple of Montu (the falcon-headed god of war) at El-Tod, and the tomb of Ankhtifi, a provincial governor and warlord, at El-Mo’alla.
- See what is perhaps a different side of Cairo: have lunch at Al-Azhar Park, a glorious public space with splendid views of Islamic Cairo; and visit the 9th-century Mosque of Ibn Tulun, the city’s oldest mosque in its original form and its largest mosque in terms of area.
- Enjoy luxurious and best available accommodations throughout, with two to four nights at each property.
- Enhance your adventure with a pre-tour program in Egypt’s Siwa Oasis and Alexandria, and/or a post-tour program to Jordan, including Petra, Jerash, Madaba, and Wadi Rum.
This is a small group limited to just 12 spaces! Reserve your space today by calling 800-748-6262 or emailing email@example.com.
Pricing Per Person
Main Tour Pricing (14 nights)
Double Occupancy 11-12 participants $10,495
Double Occupancy 9-10 participants $10,895
Single Supplement $2,795
with fewer than 9 participants, a small group surcharge may be added. Single room supplement will be charged when requested or required (limited availability).
Pre Tour Extension – Siwa Oasis & Alexandria (6 nights)
11-12 participants $4,145
9-10 participants $4,345
6-8 participants $4,645
Single Supplement $1,295
Post Tour Extension – Jordan (5 nights)
11-12 participants $3,595
8-10 participants $4,095
6-7 participants $4,395
Single Supplement $.1095
with fewer than 6 participants, a small group surcharge may be added. Single room supplement will be charged when requested or required (limited availability).