Prehistoric Cave Art of Spain & France (land tour)
Wednesday, September 19, 2018 to Monday, October 1, 2018
Tour Leader: Paul G. Bahn
- Investigate southwestern Europe’s most extraordinary prehistoric caves, including Lascaux IV, a new, exact reproduction of one of the most remarkable prehistoric sites ever discovered; Altamira II, a precise replica of the original that is often called the “Sistine Chapel of Prehistoric Art;” Atapuerca, the most significant early human site in western Europe; Las Monedas Cave and Cueva del Castillo, where 180 animal likenesses were painted some 12,000-14,000 years ago; Cougnac, which features paintings of extinct megaloceros and mammoth; Pech Merle, known for its “negative handprints;” and others.
- Travel with world-renowned archaeological author Paul Bahn, a gifted and popular lecturer who regularly leads tours to study the prehistory of Spain and France, including this program. Dr. Bahn will enhance your understanding of the sites with lectures and informal discussions.
- Tour archaeological and ethnographic museums with superb exhibits of prehistoric artifacts, including the Museum of Human Evolution in Burgos, Altamira Museum, Museum of Les Eyzies, and the Museé d’Aquitaine; plus the modern art collections of Bilbao’s Guggenheim Museum.
- Explore charming villages and cities, including Santillana del Mar and San Sebastian.
- Enjoy excellent accommodations in fine hotels and charming inns, as well as fine wine and cuisine.
$7,645 (15-20 participants) per person double occupancy.
$8,395 (10-14 participants) per person double occupancy.
$1,105 single supplement (limited availability).
Download the Brochure or View Online
Wednesday & Thursday, September 19 & 20, 2018 ~ HOME / BILBAO, Spain / SANTILLANA DEL MAR
Friday, September 21 ~ SANTILLANA DEL MAR / ALTAMIRA II / PUENTE VIESGO CAVES
Saturday, September 22 ~ SANTILLANA DEL MAR / BILBAO
Sunday, September 23 ~ BILBAO / ATAPUERCA / BURGOS / BILBAO
Monday, September 24 ~ BILBAO / SAN SEBASTIAN / BORDEAUX, France
Tuesday, September 25 ~ BORDEAUX / LES EYZIES-DE-TAYAC
Wednesday, September 26 ~ LES EYZIES / THE PÉRIGORD REGION
Thursday, September 27 ~ THE PÉRIGORD REGION
Friday, September 28 ~ THE PÉRIGORD REGION
Saturday, September 29 ~ LES EYZIES / TOULOUSE
Sunday, September 30 ~ TOULOUSE / NIAUX
Monday, October 1 ~ TOULOUSE | HOME
View Detailed Itinerary
If you have any additional questions, please email us at email@example.com (and include your full name) or call us toll-free at (800) 748-6262 (toll: 603-756-2884).