Our new cutting is in the only part of the ringwork’s ditch that remains after excavation in the 80s.
Cutting 4 started this summer as a test trench to the depth of the 12th century occupation layer.
In Cutting 1, we found a large pocket of charcoal that could be a posthole, but only time will tell!
Work in Cutting 3 during the two-week field excavation program from Maynooth University
As part of each IAFS course’s academic content, we spend several days at the beginning of most programmes on cultural trips.
The experimental archaeology students learned about medieval textiles and how to make medieval ceramics.
This program in partnership with University College Dublin and Institute for Field Research allowed us to learn about experimental archaeology and relate what we learned to the Carrick excavation.
This year is the 850th Anniversary of the Anglo-Norman arrival in Ireland as well as the construction of the Carrick site itself!
During the final week of this year’s excavations, we completely removed the Late Minoan I layer full of pottery in Room 65.
The IAFS’s forensic anthropology programme with Maynooth University
A video update for Summer 2019 from Dr. Shine on the progress being made with the excavation and finds
Many intact vessels came to light in Room 65, as excavation also continued in Area 61 and Room 64.
In this video, IAFS Director Denis Shine gives an update on the progress of the site so far in the summer of 2019.
Noteworthy finds this week were parts of a loom weight, pottery with a spiral motif decoration, and some intact conical cups.
Excavation continues in various rooms. Pottery fragments, animal bones, a bone pendant, and cups of the old palace period have been collected.
New conical cups have been recovered intact in Room 1, some containing animal bones, while an interesting small find was made in Room 43, and more.
The 2019 excavation season at Zominthos, Crete, begins!
This week has been full of surprises, including unexpected finds in trenches IVN and IIS.
We made progress on all of the excavation fronts and added new data on the building phases of the sanctuary and the broader neighborhood.
Bad weather slowed us down a little, but we were able to gather important results by the end of the week.